Status: 14.06.2022 16:02
In Burkina Faso, members of a militant group – jihadist suspects – attacked the village again, killing at least 79 people. According to the government, the attack was a retaliatory action.
According to the government, at least 79 people were killed in the attack on a village in northern Burkina Faso. Authorities initially reported 50 dead. The government has now announced that another 29 bodies have been found after the Seytenza massacre in the north of the country. 50 killed people have already been recovered.
According to the European Union, the attack “claimed more than a hundred civilian victims”. No one has signed up for the attack yet. However, observers assume they were jihadists. The government in Burkina Faso is anticipating a terrorist attack.
The government expects retaliation
The attackers entered the Seytenga community in Seno province on Sunday night. According to eyewitnesses, 100 people died. According to the government, it was a retaliatory action after government soldiers had previously killed about 40 suspected jihadists. This happened in response to Thursday’s attack on Seyteng, which killed 11 security personnel.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell condemned “acts of a terrorist group”. “The systematic killing of every person you meet in the village is appalling,” he said.
Thousands dead in recent years
Emergency services should continue to search for the dead, he said. However, the pitfalls left by the attackers in the area make their work difficult. According to the government, many people fled to a community 47 kilometers away after the attack.
Burkina Faso, as well as neighboring Mali and Niger, have had regular jihadist attacks for years. Several thousand soldiers and civilians have already been killed in the conflict and two million people have been displaced from their homes. Even the January military takeover failed to calm the security situation; almost 300 soldiers and civilians have died in attacks in the last three months.