After the collapse of the house in Florida: billions in compensation can be paid

Status: 06/23/2022 18:46

About a year after the collapse of a high-rise building in Florida, billions in compensation may be paid to the families of the victims. The disaster killed 98 people.

Nearly a year after the partial collapse of a high-rise building in Florida that killed 98 people, billions in compensation could be paid to the families of the victims.

Judge Michael Hanzman, in charge of the prosecutor, approved the agreement for 1.02 billion US dollars (around 968 million euros). There were no objections, said Victims’ Deputy Michael Goldberg.

The collapse of the 12-story Champlain Towers South in Surfside, a suburb of Miami on June 24, 2021, was one of the deadliest disasters of its kind in U.S. history.

Agreement within one year

Judge Hanzman said it was remarkable that the victims’ families had been compensated in just one year and that no years of litigation had taken place.

Most of the $ 1.02 billion goes to families who have lost loved ones in the accident. Around $ 100 million is court costs and $ 96 million for the owners of the destroyed apartments in the building.

The money comes from insurance and engineering companies, as well as from the builders of the adjacent apartment building, which contributed to the structural damage to Champlain Towers South.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.